Friday, October 12, 2012

Fashion Friday Models from The DMV

I believe I came out of my mother rotund. As long as I can remember I have been jolly. In elementary and middle school I remember my mom would tell me to stand next to the other big girl, she would make me look smaller. I always did and I didn’t stick out as much in the class photograph. 

I was ridiculed as a child for being overweight; no, I wasn’t teased on a daily basis, I wasn’t brought to tears when I would walk out of the house every day. Lucky for me there was another large girl who just so happened to be bigger than me. She was tormented and I saw every bit of this and I thanked my lucky stars I was the smaller one of the two of us because I didn't get tormented as much or as often. I learned quickly; if I kept my head down, didn’t say much and pretended like nothing bothered me, no one would mess with me. That worked most of the time, except it made me very shy and I had very few friends. 

Well, all of that has changed. I do not know what "clicked" inside of me; but, one day in my 20's I woke up and realized I was pretty, I was very overweight but had a pretty face. After getting up to 397lbs and having a breakdown in a Lane Bryant dressing room due to nothing in the entire store fitting, I decided to make a change. I joined weight watchers and a year later I joined a gym. 

Walking through the front door of a gym when you are fat is one of the scariest things someone overweight can do. I remember I tried Curves first, great place to tone, but not a great place to drop a ton of weight. I remember the day I joined Snap Fitness, a 24 hr gym that was full of weights, weight machines, cardio equipment and people. I remember walking on the treadmill thinking to myself "everyone is watching, everyone is wondering when I'm going to quit, they don't expect me to last 3 days." Well, my thoughts got the best of me. I went to that gym religiously every day, sometimes twice a day for the longest time just so I could prove myself wrong. 

After losing 150lbs (yes, 150lbs) on Weight Watchers and a lot of time at the gym a friend suggested I get involved in a competition for plus size woman. I had to post photographs of myself online and let the world vote. I was afraid people wouldn't like me, no one would vote or people would think I was too fat or ugly. I did it though and I came in second place for online voting. I ended up going to Las Vegas in February of 2011 to compete in the Ms. Curves competition. I didn't win, but I had a blast and met so many wonderful, inspiring women that I didn't mind not winning. 

After the competition, I remember standing in my evening gown chatting in the lobby when an older gentlemen approached me. He said, “You’re Mandy right?" I said, "Yes." He gave me his name and told me he was one of the underwear designers for a well known plus size woman's store. He told me he really thought I should have won and that he voted for me every day. I couldn't do anything but blush and smile. He asked me if I modeled, when I told him I didn't, he told me when I got home I needed to start building my portfolio and to stay in touch with him. Joseph Lara, you are the reason I came home and started modeling. Your words have been the foundation of my journey. Thank you! 

And this is how it all began; this is the short and sweet version of course 


Resume: 
Fashion Show: 
The Curvy Revolution, Las Vegas NV – February 2011 ReBellion Fashion Show, Clarksville MD – November 2011
The Unforgettable Woman, Richmond VA – December 2011 Fashion Bug Customer Appreciation Runway Show, Elkton MD- March 2012 
True Divas Fashion Show, Richmond VA- July 2012
Curves Rock Weekend, Baltimore MD- July 2012
Competition: 
Ms Curves Competition- Modeling Contest, Las Vegas, NV- February 2011
Past Projects: 
Tara Skatuler Photography, Fair Hill, MD – July 2010 Cyberswim.com, Easton PA - January 2011 & January 2012 Franciso Jauegui, Frederick MD – March 2011 Jamie Diamond, Philadelphia PA – April 2011
Kara Gwyn, Conshohocken PA –April 2011
SB Imagery, Wilmington DE – May 2011
Jimi Jlazlo, Washington DC – May 2011
Christian Mastondrea, Burlington NJ – June 2011
Virgin Optics Photography, Seaford DE - June, July, September & October 2011, March & July 2012
Luke Burke Photography, Frederick MD – July 2011
Robert Matthews Studios, Potomac MD – August 2011
Mark Somerville, Burlington Ontario CA – August 2011
Snappy Photography, Dover DE – September 2011
GT Pluss, Elkridge MD – July 2011 & January 2012 Glow by JoJo, Wilmington DE – December 2011 Red Mill Studios, Philadelphia, PA- March 2012 Turner C Photography, Washington DC- April 2012
Couture Queen Fall Catalog, Jazzy Studios, Baltimore MD- September 2012
AJM Photography, Manasass Park VA- September 2012 
About Curves, White Marsh MD- October 2012

Current and Future Projects: 
Beltway Productions: We are a team of like-minded individuals who all have a dream of highlighting the amazing talent throughout the DMV area. Our group consists of Luke Burke (Photographer), Asia Holland (Photographer and model) and myself (Creative Director and model). We are currently creating a calendar for 2013. We use models from the DMV area who would like the help and encouragement trying to get their name out there and be seen in the industry. The goal is to help everyone have a great experience building their portfolio and helping them move on to the next step. 

Virgin Optics Photography: I honestly cannot say enough good things about Anj. Her work is amazing and every time I see my proofs from her I look like a child on Christmas morning. She always gives the “WOW” factor. I have a photo shoot with her next weekend, and two more before wrapping up 2012. 

I have a few shoots coming up with different photographers. Currently, I am trying to expand my portfolio and just become a better model. I enjoy different ideas from photographers and I am willing to try almost anything. I really enjoy attending any plus size event. I attended Curvy Closets fashion show in Philadelphia PA last month. It was my first experience being in the audience, in lieu of being on the runway. It was a wonderful experience and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the models and meeting so many people. 

Goals: 
When I was younger I would tell people “I want to be a model when I get grow up”. As a child and young adult, I had no idea a “plus size industry” existed. It was only a few years ago I realized I could do this and I fell in love. I love that so many are embracing our curvy bodies. My goal when I started was to walk in Full Figure Fashion Week in NYC. That is still my goal. I am not sure what my goal will be once I can cross that off my list, but the sky is the limit. I love being a part of this industry, I have been involved in some amazing projects and I have met so many wonderful and encouraging people along the way. 

In closing, I would just like to say “Thank you” to those who are always so supportive, and thank you to the companies, store owners and photographers who believe in me and use me for their projects! I truly appreciate all of the opportunities I have been granted. 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mandy-Frank-Plus-Size-Model/208382325870143?fref=ts

http://www.modelmayhem.com/2286796



No comments:

Post a Comment